Welcome to our Inaugural Prose Contest at Obra / Artifact!
A prize of $500 along with a custom-created physical artifact (based on the chosen work) and publication in Issue #6 of Obra / Artifact will be given to the winning author. Finalists will be judged by an acclaimed writer, with John Keene as guest judge for the inaugural contest. Submit one piece of original prose up to 6,000 words in length with a $15 entry fee by 31 July 2018.
Inaugural Prose Contest Rules & Details:
- The contest is open to fiction and nonfiction prose.
- There is no required theme or genre.
- Open to international writers. All submissions must be in English.
- Each piece should be typed and double-spaced and up to 6,000 words.
- Work should be submitted in an editable text document format (e.g. Microsoft Word Document, Google Doc).
- All submissions must be accompanied by a cover letter. The cover letter must contain: your name, title of the piece, word count, author bio of no more than three sentences written in the third person, phone number, and email address.
- Please do NOT put your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
- Manuscripts may NOT be previously published.
- Entries must be electronically submitted via Submittable.
- Submissions must be received by midnight (Eastern Time) 31 July 2018.
- One piece per submission. Up to three submissions per author are accepted. Each entry must be accompanied by a $15 entry fee.
- The winner will be contacted in early September 2018. If winner does not respond within one week of notification, another winner may be selected.
- The custom-created physical artifact based on the chosen work will be designed and created by the Obra / Artifact Editors and collaborating associates. The type of physical artifact created will be inspired directly by the work itself and thus designed and made after the winning piece is announced. At least one physical artifact will be created.
- All entries will also be considered for publication in a future issue of Obra / Artifact (all contest entries are automatically added to submissions for Issue #6 — please do not submit the same piece to Issue #6 separately).
- Current Stetson MFA of the Americas students are not eligible.
- Rules are subject to change at any time.
Obra / Artifact Inaugural Prose Contest
Entry fee: $15
Length: 2,500 – 3,500 words
Deadline: 31 July 2018